As part of IRONMAN ongoing race development and improvements, the IRONMAN 70.3 Campeche will have a “Rolling Swim Start”. This method of start has been introduced into several IRONMAN events around the world with positive feedback and outcomes. By de way, Rolling Start is used for Age Group athletes only.
Wave Start Time
What is a rolling start?
Athletes are set off in one continuous line for the swim start. It will take approximately 20 minutes to get the entire field across the swim start line. In effect, this will create a “time trial” dynamic for the race and for the determination of the final results. Each athlete individual race time will start when they cross the swim start timing mat, under the swim start arch.
How does this work?
– The pre swim start area will be divided into starting zones/corals based on an athletes predicted swim time for the 1.2 Mile course.
– Athletes will seed themselves into these zones/corals based on predicted swim times. At Athlete Check-In you will indicate which zone you wish to start from.
– Groups will commence a rolling start based on these groups with fastest athletes on course first.
– Athletes timing chips will activate once they cross designated swim start timing mat, at the entry ramp to the swim course.
* Important note: The swim cut off time 1:10 hours starts from when the athlete crosses the timing mat entering the water.